Saturday, November 24, 2012

Apple Cider Pecan Coffee Cake w/Apple Cider Icing

Pumpkin pie, hot cocoa, apples, and apple cider are all Fall favorites. Well, at least they're my favorites. I wish I could say that I lovingly make homemade hot spiced apple cider from freshly juiced apples...but I can't. The truth is that I buy instant hot apple cider just like I buy instant hot cocoa. I use the Alpine Spiced Apple Cider. You can usually find it next to the hot cocoa at the grocery store. This coffee cake is inspired by my husband's apple cider pancakes: it's yummy and not too sweet, which is just how I like my coffee cake. The key here is to not reconstitute the spiced cider mix. In other words, don't add water; just add the mix directly to the dry ingredients.

Apple Cider Pecan Coffee Cake w/Apple Cider Icing


Coffee Cake
1¼ cup unbleached white flour
1¼ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup sugar
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1¼ cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, chopped

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 - 3 tsp Spiced Apple Cider Original Instant Drink Mix
2 - 3 Tbsp water


Instructions
Generously grease a 10 inch bundt pan. Heat oven to 350° F.

For the cake
In a bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, apple cider drink mix (do not add water), baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time stirring well after each. Alternately add buttermilk and flour mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add vanilla and stir. Add pecans and stir thoroughly. Pour batter in pan and spread evenly.  Bake 50-55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove cake from pan and cool on a wire rack. Cool completely before icing.

For the icing
In a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, melted butter, and Spiced Apple Cider drink mix. Add water one tablespoon at a time until desire consistency is reached. Drizzle over cake.

Inspiration recipe(s):


Enjoy!

~CD

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...